This lovely little morsel was recommended by the cheesemonger at my favourite place at Pike Place Market to say goodbye to vast quantities of my paycheck (it may be for the best that my office is moving). This is a buffalo milk cheese (water buffalo, that is) and had a smooth, delighful texture. Slightly rubbery with a very gamey aftertaste and a sharp citrus nose. I realize that sounds like a bizarre combination, but it was delicious! The gamey taste isn't overpowering, just assertive enough to let you know this isn't cow's milk cheese. I think this would stand up well on a cheese plate with a glass of dry red wine. I'd love to try cooking with it, but at $35/lb it might be for special occasions only!
Pro tip: I put the little bit left over from the tasting on a slice of bread and toasted it in the oven for homemade croutons and it was delicious!

No comments:
Post a Comment