Sometimes I like going to the cheese counter and picking up something unusual. I've found some of my very favourite cheeses that way! This one, however, I'm going to admit looked far more appealing than it tasted. :( While it is hard to tell in the photo, this was a very wee little round of cheese, perhaps 1-1/2" across and 2" high, covered in a white mold rind and a light dusting of grey.
The consistency was not at all what I was expecting - chalky, fairly chewy, and dry enough to have a tannic mouthfeel like a red wine. I can't say I've ever met a cheese with the same texture. The flavour was very light, a bit like a dry cheddar, but not as strong or interesting.
I did put the cheese aside to age a bit more and see if the flavour improves any. Barring any major changes, however, I'm going to have to say this is one little cheese I won't be taking home with me again. (And that is a rare thing for me to say!!)

No comments:
Post a Comment