Day 10 was one of the 2 days of rest on the tour, so I suppose this is really only days 11-19. I'm super happy the rest days both fall on Mondays, since I go straight from work to rehearsal and am usually so pooped by the time I get home there would be no oomph left to spin.
I needed to find my other huge bobbin before I could start the next 8 oz of A Bug's Life, so I thought it would be fun to do a fast and easy spin. The only problem was that I couldn't decide what fibre to use, so I had someone else pick for me. Problem solved! Well, except for the minor detail that I'd already decided what this fibre wanted to be a long time ago and it was already split and ready to go and....it was going to be thin. Very thin. My first true 3-ply, and I wanted it to be for socks. Fun spin, yes! Easy spin, yes! Fast? Not so much so. They are going to be the most awesome socks ever, though, so I'm just not going to complain about it. :)
This fibre is a long-marinated resident of my stash, a Spunky Eclectic fibre club offering from October 2009 - Ribbons, on a wool blend. The wool has a slight crispness to it and an easy-to-manage staple length. I think the socks should hold up well, without being quite as rough as a Romney or other longwool. I split the fibre lengthwise into 3 pieces: the first was spun as is, the second was split in half again lengthwise, and the third was split into thirds lengthwise, so I should get nice shorter stripes, as well as longer colour changes. I've only ever done a true 3-ply (not chained) once, in a plying workshop, so I'm looking forward to getting a few hours soon to ply!
Aren't they pretty?
In the spirit of cleaning off some some bobbins, I also wound off Carried Away. I got roughly 775 yards of fingering weight singles (well, fingering weight pre-bath, but I imagine it won't puff up too much). I am mostly decided on this pattern, just as soon as the knitting bug takes over again.


No comments:
Post a Comment