Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Tour de Fleece, days 8-9

I fell down the rabbit hole that is Ravelry's new handspun/spinning feature this morning and realized a few key things:

1)  I have way too much unspun fibre.  Somehow I haven't gotten the wheel out as much over the past year as I should and it makes me really sad.  It is such a peaceful, calming activity for me, and this was a year that could have used a bit of extra peace.

2) I am a fairly lackadaisical spinner, in that I don't think I've ever measured twist angle or grist.  I'm hard pressed to measure WIP most of the time, I just eyeball it and go.  It might be time to try spinning for a specific sweater, rather than spinning the yarn and THEN deciding what it wants to be.

3)  The yarn from yesterday's post?  I started that at the end of the Tour last year.  Oi.

On the up side, progress has been made!  I pulled out another long-languishing sweater lot and started up on the second 4 oz bump of singles (the first 4 oz was spun in January-ish).  This one is called A Bug's Life and is another Spunky Eclectic fibre club offering from July 2012. The fibre is Portugese Merino and is a pretty low-key one to spin.  It isn't as slippery to me as some of the other Merino I've spun, and isn't quite as squishy.  My hopes are that these traits will make it hold up a bit better and not pill so much from wear.  My one existing handspun Merino sweater, while I love it dearly, is very felted in the underarms and starting to pill.

I loved the colours in this one so much I ordered 2 extra bumps for a total of 16 oz, which should be enough for a cardigan.  Long or short sleeves remains to be seen.  :)  The first half the singles fits nicely on the largest bobbin I own:


No comments:

Post a Comment