A few months back, I was contacted by a friend of a friend who was in need of a custom costume. Sure, I thought, that sounds fun, and hey, I have some slower weekends coming up! Hahahaha! Slower weekends, that's a good one! :p
So inbetwixt and inbetween all the shows, projects, and general life stuff that keeps rearing its ugly head, I've been working on this for several weekends straight. I admit that I had not ever seen the character before (or even the game), but there were fortunately some really great photos available and one kind soul had even listed instructions for the costume they had made as well as some rough scale pattern pieces. I had to laugh on one of my many trips to the fabric store because the lady at the cutting counter played Journey and knew exactly what I was making!
This did have to be modified a bit to fit, which added quite a bit to the embellishment time. As written, the pattern was a half circle cape, which I increased to 3/4 circle in order to close properly on the front. The hood also had to be increased about 4" in diameter.
All said, I'm ridiculously happy with how the project turned out. I'm also ridiculously happy it will be going to live with its new owner so I don't have to see any more bright yellow bias tape for a while. ;)
(For those like me who aren't quite up on their video game characters, this is the main character from Journey PS3.)



No comments:
Post a Comment