This is one of those standard weekday spur-of-the-moment meals that happen so often in my life. There had been plans for the evening that fell through at the last minute, so I found myself in the kitchen, pondering the contents of the fridge (and shuddering at the mashed potatoes that were rapidly becoming a sentient life form). One of the many skills I'm glad I gleaned from my mom is the ability to cook dinner out of juuuust about anything. Growing up out of town, popping over to the corner store wasn't much of an option, so I learned to be creative. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes the experiments turn out better than others, but I think this one was a keeper. ;)
Mediterranean Chicken & Rice
(Serves 2)
Chicken:
2 marinated chicken breasts (I used the brine left over from a jar of marinated mushrooms, but I think Italian dressing would work in a pinch, or any type of light vinaigrette)
1 T olive oil
Rice:
2-1/2 C cooked brown rice (I admit it, I used minute rice)
1 tomato, diced & seeded
juice from 1 lemon
1/2 t lemon zest
8-10 green olives, chopped
8-10 marinated mushrooms, chopped
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/2 t onion powder
1/4 C pine nuts
2 handfuls baby spinach
Stir rice ingredients into cooked rice while it is still warm and set aside to rest while you cook chicken in large frying pan with 1 T olive oil. Add marinade as needed until cooked through and golden brown (I found that adding the marinade gave the chicken a really nice crust. Serve hot with room temp to warm rice.
This made just slightly more than 2 dinner portions, and I think it may have been better the next day for lunch!

No comments:
Post a Comment