Monday, March 18, 2013

Corn Roti

I've been threatening to make chicken curry for months and finally got around to it (mmm, spicy!).  I never think an Indian meal is complete without naan, but haven't yet found a good GF substitute.  These corn roti were modified from a non-GF recipe I found on Eating Well.  I'm happy with it, though it isn't quite as good at sopping up sauce as naan is.

Corn Roti

(makes 6)

1 C White Corn Flour
1/4 C Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose Mix (or your favourite, I think most would work)
1/4 t salt
1/2 t fresh ginger, minced finely
1/2 t minced chipotle in adobo
1/4 C finely chopped red onion
1/4 C finely chopped baby spinach leaves
1/2 C + 1 T warm water
1/2 T butter
1/2 T olive oil

Combine flours & salt.  Add ginger, chipotle, onion and spinach; stir to combine.  Drizzle water over mixture, stirring to incorporate until it starts to come together and form a mass.  Knead until a soft ball forms, using more AP flour mix as needed to keep from sticking.  Divide into 6 balls.  Flatten to 4-6" diameter discs between two sheets of waxed paper (the dough will still be a bit sticky).  Pan fry in skillet lightly coated with cooking spray over medium to medium high heat, 1-2 minutes per side.  Coat each side lightly with butter-oil mix and sear 30 seconds per side.  This last step should brown them nicely.



I didn't get to test these as leftovers, as we devoured them all with dinner, but I imagine they would keep a few days and benefit from being reheated before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment