Thursday, March 7, 2013

Braised Lamb Chops

Braised Lamb Chops

(serves 2, easy to scale)

7 cloves garlic, diced
1 leek (white only), chopped
8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
1 pint thin tomato sauce (if using commercial, mix 1/2 pint water with 1/2 pint tomato sauce)
4 lamb chops
1 T capers
rosemary salt
pepper
1/3 C red wine (I had pinot noir on hand)
2 T bacon grease ('cuz I'm fancy like that)
1 t dried parsley
1/2 t herbes de provence
1 T butter

In large sauté pan over medium heat, sauté garlic & leek in bacon grease 2-3 minutes.  Add mushrooms, salt & pepper and sauté until golden brown (about 2 minutes).  Scoot to sides of pan and add lamb chops to center.  Brown 2 minutes each side.  Mine were thick, so I did top, bottom, and both sides (8 minutes total).

Deglaze pan with wine.  Add tomato sauce, parsley, herbes and a pinch of black pepper.  Simmer 4 minutes.  Flip chops and simmer 2 minutes.  Remove chops to rest while you finish up the sauce.  Turn heat on sauce to medium high and cook until reduced by 2/3.  Add capers and 1 T butter.  Remove from heat and serve over chops.



I served this with some leftover mashed potatoes and it was incredibly filling and made the house smell delightful.  You could probably add another vegetable side and serve each person 1 chop and make this feed 4, not 2.  The cook time on the lamb with thicker chops left them just the pink side of medium, which I think was about perfect.  If you like your meat more well done, just increase the simmer time.

No comments:

Post a Comment